Thursday 2 February 2012

My 2nd (and 3rd) Miles in Vibram FiveFingers

In future I may avoid using VFF's in freezing temperatures!!
Tonight was my second run in my Vibram FiveFingers KSO's. This time I pushed on extra kilometre. Here are my thoughts:

1. The ankles are getting stronger.
Last week, I felt my ankles were being strained stabilising my feet without the support of my normal running shoes. Tonight, they seemed to know what to do and only now, a couple of hours later, do my ankle muscles feel worked. It's the pleasant discomfort of a muscle worked-out as opposed to the agony of injury. (My shins are a little sore but that is mainly left over from a hill session with my running club on Tuesday).

2. I'm liking the extra awareness of the running surface.
To work in an extra kilometre, I detoured down a new road with some construction rubble strewn over it and a muddy patch of earth. You can instantly detect the change in terrain and the feet seem to reposition themselves of their own free will. I wonder if the same would be true for those times you catch your foot unexpectedly on a patch of mud or slush?

3. I continue to get faster.
Behold, RunKeeper's analysis of my run. My fastest average pace ever 
apparently.
Compared to last week, RunKeeper says I'm 7 seconds/km faster. I can't say with certainty the VFF's are making the difference because I've not done an easy run in my normal shoes yet to compare. However, based on my thought last week about the possibility of energy being wasted in compressing cushioning, I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Alternatively it could just be me getting fitter. We'll see.

4. You definitely know how your foot is landing.
Linked to more awareness of the road surface, is greater awareness of your foot position relative to the ground. In the VFF's I know I'm landing on my forefoot and pronating far less than I do in shoes. In my normal shoes I have no idea what my foot is doing.

5. VFF's may be a poor choice in cold weather.
It was zero Celsius outside tonight. When I got home, I couldn't feel my toes. Enough said.

Next week I'll try 4km (hopefully in warmer weather!). If that goes OK it'll be time to try a parkrun in the VFF's.

No comments:

Post a Comment