Thursday 26 January 2012

My First Mile in Vibram FiveFingers

Me in my Vibrams after running just over 2km
This evening, I ran just over a mile (2.24km to be precise) in my Vibram FiveFingers (VFF's). Here are my impressions.

1. I became immediately lighter on my feet.
This was not surprising given I knew there would be zero cushioning between me and the ground. What did surprise me though was I had less of a tendency to bounce up and down.

2. My average pace increased.
I was surprised by this. It definitely seemed to me like I was moving faster even though I was deliberately trying to go easy. Runkeeper confirmed that this particular run was the one with my fastest ever average pace of 5:35/km.  My guess is that energy that is normally wasted compressing normal shoe cushioning and bouncing around was more efficiently channelled into moving me forwards.

3. I was more aware of the road surface.
Despite the several millimetres of rubber between my foot and the ground, I was much more aware of the road surface than I imagined I would be. When I ran over a twig, I certainly knew about it! Even though I've run that stretch of road dozens of times, I was shocked to discover a dip in the road I'd never noticed before. It was only slight but felt like a chasm. Perhaps it had been absorbed by the cushioning in my ordinary shoes?

4. My ankles seemed to be working harder to stabilise my feet.
I was expecting to feel some new strains but the ankle was not where I thought they'd be. Vibrams provide no ankle support whatsoever. Therefore, the surrounding muscles were forced to hold my feet in the proper position. I was expecting strain on the heel, toes or the foot muscles. My Brooks GTS Adrenalines must provide more ankle support than I realised! I'll have to allow my ankles to strengthen before logging serious mileage in the Vibrams.

5. (Update 27/1/12) My core was more engaged.
I only realised this morning that my core was probably more engaged than usual during last nights run owing to a mild abdominal tightness when I woke up! Not sure if this is related to the Vibrams or if it's just a gradual improvement in my running form with greater experience. Thought I'd mention it though.

Those were my first thoughts. Next week I'll see if I can add another kilometre to the distance and see how I get on.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pete. I've been using my Vibram FiveFinger KSOs since Christmas and I love them.

    I do all my gym sessions in them, which includes a mile of incline cardio on the treadmill, 6 times a week. I've had no problems with them, no rubbing, no blisters or anything. I also found that I stopped getting shin splints like I used to when wearing traditional running shoes. My next step is to try them out on the road.

    I have also worn them just out and about and completely agree about how much more you notice the textures underfoot. They are also an awesome conversation starter! Had loads of people ask me about them!

    ReplyDelete