Monday 30 July 2012

My Longest Run

Yesterday, I decided to test myself. I wanted to see how long and far I could run maintaining a pace of ~7min/km.

To my satisfaction, I comfortably managed 10 miles. I continued and found I was starting to stiffen-up by about 12 miles, after which I started having niggling tenderness in my knees and ankles. By 14 miles, I'd slowed down to a walk so I stopped my Garmin watch. I had been running for 2:47:31.
A screenshot from my RunKeeper profile.
I was only 1 mile short of completing the entire circuit of Rutland Water at a running pace! Just over a year ago, walking that route almost finished me! It's almost unbelievable to me how much improvement there has been in my fitness and stamina over just 9 months.

I'm glad I ran the circuit yesterday. I've proven to myself that I can cover the distance required for the Great North Run. I now have 47 days to get just a little stronger. I'm sure yesterday's run will have helped no end!

No comments:

Post a Comment